A collection of book reviews, suggested reading, and an ongoing chronicle of meeting minutes from a lively group of Austin-area women who meet monthly and discuss a chosen book, belly laugh endlessly, eat, drink, get a little crazy, and laugh some more.

Enjoy reading!

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris

This book was actually March's book and I realize we're almost out of May... I'm behind, as usual, on updating the blog.  My Half-Year Resolution is to start updating more frequently.  Dare I say every two weeks?  It's optimistic, I realize.

Me Talk Pretty was Mia's book choice and, although I only read about half of it, I enjoyed it and do intend to finish.  (I'm still on this Henry the VIII train and I just can't get off).  We Leanderites loaded up in one car and headed southy to Mia's, where she had the most delicious meal prepared.  We had a baked potato bar with all kinds of toppings.  The gruyere bechamel sauce was a very nice touch!  Ana made from scratch an insanely rich cheesecake with dark chocolate edges.  Oh em gee.... it was divine!

Everyone really loved the book and over dinner we perused some of his sister, Amy Sedaris's, books from Mia's personal collection.  We especially enjoyed, and I totally intend to purchase her book, I Like You: Hospitality Under the Influence.

Also discussed over dinner: 
Sunday brought handmade Guatamalan bracelets that she was selling for her friend at work.  While beautifully crafted, I think Cara worded it best when she asked, after having hers strapped on, "Where's my hawk?"  It really did look like a landing leather for wild birds.  Nevertheless, they were hot sellers and I think everyone purchased one, except for me because, why would I cover up the only skinny part of my arm?  When I tried one on, I looked like I was suiting up for a mock battle, Roman Gladiator-style, at the Renaissance Festival.

Stay with me, ladies, it just gets better and better....

Brazilian waxes.  Not sure where the name came from because Mia and Ana ARE Brazilian and they shared that Brazil is absolutely NOT where this style of wax job originated.  Also, for those of us who haven't dared to "take it all off," as it were, we learned from a Brazilian herself that the grow-out phase of this grooming technique is extreeeeemely uncomfortable.  We then launched into a Brazilian debate:  is it worth it?  Considering the blood-curdling pain to have gigantic hair folicles ripped from paper-thin skin, followed by a month-long case of the itchies, we decided a landing strip may be the way to go.

After deciding on the next book, Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen, chosen by yours truly, we wrapped it up for the night.  Hope you enjoyed - or plan to enjoy - one of the books mentioned in today's blog!

Enjoy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers